What is the Prevent Strategy?
Prevent is a government strategy designed to stop people becoming terrorists or supporting terrorist or extremist causes.
The Prevent strategy covers all types of terrorism and extremism, including the extreme right wing, violent groups and other causes.
How does the Prevent Strategy apply to schools?
From July 2015, all schools (as well as other organisations) have a duty to safeguard children from radicalisation and extremism.
This means we have a responsibility to protect children from extremist and violent views, the same way we protect them from other risks in life.
Importantly, we can provide a safe place for children to discuss these issues at an age appropriate level so they better understand how to protect themselves.
All our staff complete Prevent Training which enables them to fully understand the Prevent Strategy and their role in keeping children, themselves and others safe.
What does this mean in practice?
At Driffield Northfield Infant School many of the things we already do to help children become positive, happy members of society which contributes to the Prevent strategy.
- Exploring other cultures and religions and promoting diversity
- Challenging prejudices and racist comments
- Developing critical thinking skills and a strong, positive self-identity
- Promoting the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of pupils, as well as British values such as democracy
At our school school we also protect children from the risk of radicalisation, for example by using filters on the internet to make sure they can not access extremist and terrorist material, or by vetting visitors who come into school to work with our children.
- Extremism – vocal or active opposition to fundamental British values such as democracy, the rule of law and tolerance of different faiths and beliefs
- Ideology – a set of beliefs
- Terrorism – a violent action against people or property, designed to create fear and advance a political, religious or ideological cause
- Radicalisation – the process by which a person comes to support extremism and terrorism
Teaching our children to uphold fundamental British Values is also an important aspect of Prevent. Click here to see how we promote these at our school.